Employment Law

I suspect that my employment rights have been breached – what should I do?

By August 28, 2023 No Comments
Workplace Relations Commission

Having your employment rights breached by your employer or workplace can range from the slight to the serious, potentially meaning that one or more of the legal rights and protections that you are entitled to as an employee have been violated.

Although employment rights and their protection are established by labour laws and regulations to ensure fair treatment, safe working conditions, and appropriate compensation for workers, a breach of employment rights can unfortunately still occur despite these safeguards.

  • Gather Information: Collect and document evidence related to the alleged breach. This could include employment contracts, payslips, communication records, work schedules, and any other relevant documents.
  • Consult Your Employer: Discuss your concerns with your employer or HR department. Sometimes, misunderstandings can be resolved through open communication.
  • Know Your Rights: Familiarise yourself with your employment rights as outlined by the relevant legislation (e.g., the Employment Equality Acts 1998-2015). This will help you determine if a breach has occurred, and which specific rights have been affected.
  • Contact the Workplace Relations Commission (WRC): If the issue remains unresolved, consider filing a formal complaint with the WRC. You can do this online through the WRC website or by submitting a written complaint.
  • Seek Legal Advice: If the breach persists or escalates, it’s advisable to consult a legal professional who specializes in employment law. They can provide personalised guidance and represent your interests throughout the complaint process.

It’s important for both employers and employees to ensure compliance with employment laws and to foster a fair and respectful work environment. If you suspect a breach of your employment rights, seeking legal advice can help you understand your options and take appropriate action.

*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement.*

Leave a Reply