Personal Injury

I Was Involved in a RTA While Riding my Bike – Am I Entitled to Compensation?

By February 17, 2023 No Comments
Personal Injury

Although cycling is generally viewed as a good and cost-effective way to commute, keep fit, and experience the outdoors, it is unfortunately not without risks, particularly when riding on roads that are also shared by motor vehicles.

Given that you may have little protection when riding your bike if you are hit by a car, for example, serious and possibly life-threatening injuries may the result if you are struck, not to mention the potential damage to your bike and financial losses that accrue as a result of the accident.

Am I entitled to compensation if injured while cycling?

Although it may be the last thing on your mind following an accident, you may be wondering if you are entitled to any compensation following an accident while riding on your bicycle.

As is the case with any other road user, those who are injured while cycling on Irish roads are entitled to compensation, provided they were not negligent or at fault for the accident. For compensatory purposes, injured cyclists are treated in the same manner as other personal injury cases, and are dealt with by Personal Injuries Assessment Board (PIAB).

What should I do if I was involved in an accident while riding my bicycle?

After you have checked yourself to ensure that you have received no major injuries following the accident, it is still advised that you visit a local hospital/your GP for a checkup.

If Gardai do not present themselves at the scene, visit your nearest garda station to make a detailed report outlining the events of what happened. Such a report may be called upon later, so it is important that you recall the incident to the best of your recollection.

Once these initial steps have been followed and your physical wellbeing is established, it is at this point you may consider launching your claim with the PIAB. Further details on this process can be found on our previous blog post here.

Should I contact a solicitor?

While there is no legal requirement for you to use a solicitor when making a claim to the Personal Injuries Board for a cycling accident, if you are considering launching a cycling injury claim and you feel that the accident occurred through no fault of your own, it is recommended that you speak with a solicitor who specialises in such claims.

By contacting a solicitor, you will be provided with a comprehensive assessment of your case and a full evaluation of your options when deciding to move forward with a claim to the PIAB.

*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement.*

Leave a Reply